News and Announcements
Registration is NOW OPEN for the 2023 Spring Outdoor Junior Program – https://www.astrosfieldhockey.com/forms/13244-Astros-Junior-Registration
ASTROS U12 / U14 / U16-U18 SPRING OUTDOOR FLYER – https://www.canva.com/design/DAFbQGAnMxk/4eqqOd5apsLJ1WJyfgmA2w/view?utm_content=DAFbQGAnMxk&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink
ASTROS JUNIOR (U12/U14/U16-U18) OUTDOOR PROGRAM INFORMATION – https://www.astrosfieldhockey.com/clubs/4268/documents/556293
- Astros U12, U14, U16 / New-U18s Registration – https://www.astrosfieldhockey.com/forms/13244-Astros-Junior-Registration
- Cost is approx. $350 – $375 (we are waiting for confirmation and price of artificial turf practice fields)
- You will receive an invoice via TeamSnap to submit payment
- 2022-23 FHA/FHC Membership (choose JUNIOR) – FHA/FHC Membership and Insurance
- If your athlete played 2022 Fall Outdoor or 2022-23 Fall/Winter Indoor, they should have this already
- Valid from Sept. 1/2022 – Aug. 31/2023
- Choose JUNIOR for U14 or U16/U18 team; choose YOUTH for U12 team
- Experienced U18 athletes may complete the regular Astros registration – https://www.astrosfieldhockey.com/forms/11087-Astros-Club-Registration
- U12s and FunStix should register on the FHA website – http://fieldhockey.ab.ca/content/funstix-programs-u8-u10
- March Preseason Practices (Inside)
- April Practices (Inside) – Genesis Centre
- May/June Practices (Outside) – Shouldice, McMahon Stadium
- Practices will Wednesdays and/or Thursdays, depending on field availability
- Last practice will be June 22nd
- April 30 – League Games commence
- May 11 – CLFHA Jr. Boot Camp @ UC Hawkings Field
- May 12 – CLFHA One-Day Open Jr. Tournament @ UC Hawkings Field
- May 22 – Victoria Day Weekend – Off
- May 27 – Lacombe/Red Deer Festival
- June 18 or 25 – Last League games
- June 25 or July 8 – Calgary Festival
- July 2 – Canada Day Weekend – Off
- League games will be on SUNDAYS
- U12s will be 6v6 (quarter-field games), U14s will be 7v7 (half-field games) and U16s will be 11v11 (full field games)
PLAYERS WILL NEED
- To wear T-shirt, shorts, and running shoes
- Shin guards (soccer ones will be fine to start), mouth guard (MANDATORY; available at Sport Chek), water bottle
- Canadian Tire JumpStart – https://jumpstart.canadiantire.ca/pages/individual-child-grants
- KidSport – https://kidsportcanada.ca/alberta/calgary/apply-for-a-grant/
To all of our AMAZING volunteer coaches, a TREMENDOUS THANK YOU in advance for helping to share your knowledge, time, and passion for the sport that we love!
To all of our new and returning Astros junior players and parents, a HUGE WELCOME BACK to outdoor spring field hockey – we have missed you.
To reduce the number of emails and minimize confusion, communications regarding the CJFH program will come from the CJFH Coordinator, Venus Kwan – email@example.com
Attached is the schedule and list of the GROUP-OF-10 PRACTICE teams in order to meet the AHS/provincial guidelines for youth sport. If and when updates to the guidelines allow for scrimmages and game play, we will then update the teams accordingly.
- All practices (for April) are on the OUTDOOR TURF FIELDS at the Calgary Soccer Centre, 7000 – 48 St. SE and will run for 1 hour once a week.
- Starting May, if AHS regulations persist we will continue to run skill sessions, but it will be twice a week (Thursday and Sunday).
- As soon as AHS regulations lift, we will jump right into game format in May on Sundays.
- Athletes and coaches are to maintain 3m distancing at all times
- Coaches may occasionally come closer than 3m for a short time to an athlete to help with a skill or if there is an emergency with an athlete
- Masks must be worn at all times on and off the field. Exception is when athletes are running/doing strenuous exercise on the field while maintaining 3m physical distance
- Athletes and coaches are required to submit a daily COVID screening form (first thing in the morning prior to each session).
- Athletes cannot touch FHA equipment, including balls, cones, etc.
- See FHA website for additional COVID protocols for the CJFH program – http://www.fieldhockey.ab.ca/content/2021-calgary-junior-field-hockey-u12-u14-u16-u18-outdoor-spring-league
LINK TO APRIL PRACTICE SCHEDULE_ – http://www.clfha.com/clubs/4268/documents/538548
Have a FUN and AMAZING SEASON!
Astros Field Hockey Club President
The document 2021-04-26_Astros_Spring_CJFH_Teams_and_Schedule.xlsx was attached to this post.
With a number of players graduating and with roster changes being the theme for most of our Astros Club teams, Fury had some new energetic and committed recruits joining the team for the 2016-17 indoor season. The team steadily progressed over the indoor season and surprised a few teams with their willingness to not give up and gradually building up wins and confidence. Fury earned a very convincing 7 – 0 win over Cubs in the semi-finals to earn a berth in their first Gold Medal final. In that final, the team had their opportunities and solid goalkeeping, but were unable to get any goals behind Spartans and lost 3 – 0 in the final. This will be something to build on for next fall as the team celebrates a best-ever strong silver finish.
MEDAL CEREMONY (left to right): Jenny Wishart, Kioko Kawasaki, Claire Askey, Kiya Gosselin, Sydney Snyder, Emily LeSage, Siri Olson, Cindy Thai, Alana Madrid
COACHES: Sandra Smith, Huyen Way
MISSING: Kate Haig, Megan Haig, Fiona Sherrington, *Kim Scott (who plays in goal for Spartans)