News and Announcements
Hooray!! We’re playing again … with other people and umpires and mosquitoes and everything!
CLFHA MODIFIED LEAGUE FORMAT FOR 2021
- There will 2 divisions this summer.
- For Division I, weekly games will be held on Tuesday evenings.
- For Division II, weekly games will be held on Monday evenings + some Wednesday evenings if the Monday falls on a stat holiday/long weekend.
- We are reserving a couple of Wednesday evenings in late August in case there are weather-related events early in this shortened modified season.
- The season will be July and August (proposed start date is the week of July 5th) with a possibility of continuing through to mid-September, provided that FHA will similarly extend the timeframe for membership/insurance per below.
MANDATORY INSURANCE FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS VIA FHA/FHC MEMBERSHIP
- Link for Membership – https://www.rampregistrations.com/login?v3=a71e044b
- Usually effective from September 1st – August 31st. There are some updates for this year:
- For current FHC registrants (i.e. anyone who has purchased a membership through FHA’s Ramp for 2020-21, or who buys one from now until June 30, 2021, their registration is valid until Oct. 31, 2021
- This is for the FHC portion of your membership fee.
- FHA is currently discussing and reviewing and may/would have to make the same or similar decision to extend the membership.
- From a risk management perspective to ensure a safe return to the sport, players may only play in either Division I or Division II this summer.
- Goalies may play for other teams in the same division.
- Players are able to sub on other teams in the same division if that team is short of a full team (fewer than 10 field players).
- Umpires may umpire for either division.
- Masks are not required while playing or on the bench, but are required when not playing (coming to or leaving the pitch).
To all of our AMAZING volunteer coaches, a TREMENDOUS THANK YOU in advance for helping to share your knowledge, time, and passion for the sport that we love!
To all of our new and returning Astros junior players and parents, a HUGE WELCOME BACK to outdoor spring field hockey – we have missed you.
To reduce the number of emails and minimize confusion, communications regarding the CJFH program will come from the CJFH Coordinator, Venus Kwan – firstname.lastname@example.org
Attached is the schedule and list of the GROUP-OF-10 PRACTICE teams in order to meet the AHS/provincial guidelines for youth sport. If and when updates to the guidelines allow for scrimmages and game play, we will then update the teams accordingly.
- All practices (for April) are on the OUTDOOR TURF FIELDS at the Calgary Soccer Centre, 7000 – 48 St. SE and will run for 1 hour once a week.
- Starting May, if AHS regulations persist we will continue to run skill sessions, but it will be twice a week (Thursday and Sunday).
- As soon as AHS regulations lift, we will jump right into game format in May on Sundays.
- Athletes and coaches are to maintain 3m distancing at all times
- Coaches may occasionally come closer than 3m for a short time to an athlete to help with a skill or if there is an emergency with an athlete
- Masks must be worn at all times on and off the field. Exception is when athletes are running/doing strenuous exercise on the field while maintaining 3m physical distance
- Athletes and coaches are required to submit a daily COVID screening form (first thing in the morning prior to each session).
- Athletes cannot touch FHA equipment, including balls, cones, etc.
- See FHA website for additional COVID protocols for the CJFH program – http://www.fieldhockey.ab.ca/content/2021-calgary-junior-field-hockey-u12-u14-u16-u18-outdoor-spring-league
LINK TO APRIL PRACTICE SCHEDULE_ – http://www.clfha.com/clubs/4268/documents/538548
Have a FUN and AMAZING SEASON!
Astros Field Hockey Club President
The document 2021-04-26_Astros_Spring_CJFH_Teams_and_Schedule.xlsx was attached to this post.
Following on the email sent on Saturday, I wanted to provide an update on the Astros Jr. Boot Camps currently scheduled for March 31st, April 7th, April 13th, and April 15th.
As with the majority of facilities, the Viper Dome (also known as Absolute Baseball Academy) is temporarily closed in response to COVID-19. We do not know when they will reopen, but anticipate that this could take some time.
After much thought, we have come to the difficult decision to cancel the Astros Jr. Boot Camp for this spring. Out of an abundance of caution and very careful consideration, we feel that this is the most prudent decision at this time.
Field hockey is normally a welcome distraction and bolsters our “happiness” level for many of us who are passionate about this amazing sport of ours and the incredible people that are involved, but a pause (however long that may be) will allow us to all come back stronger and fuel that passion when we reunite. We are super sad that we won’t be able see all of you in the next few weeks, but the health and well-being of our Astros athletes, parents, and volunteer coaches are of utmost importance to us.
As always, be well and take care.
Verla Wong | Astros Field Hockey Club |
Hello Astros Jr. Players, Parents, and Coaches
This is usually one of our busiest times of the year as we prepare for the upcoming outdoor season with the various field hockey programs. We understand that field hockey among other daily activities is pushed to the backburner as everyone does their best to deal with other higher priorities at this time. COVID-19 has brought a lot of unknowns and uncertainties into our lives.Some of you have made inquiries about what is/will happen with the upcoming spring field hockey season. Our best answer is that we do not yet know, but we will do our best to keep everyone informed. I wanted to forward a quick update to those who inquired and who may not have received the updates directly from Field Hockey Alberta (FHA) or hadn’t yet had a chance to look at the FHA website. Information, guidance and updates about the 2020 Spring Calgary Junior Field Hockey (CJFH, formerly CJP) will come from the FHA office and website (www.fieldhockey.ab.ca).
As the email below indicates, FHA is hoping to have a spring program run, if possible. If you have not yet registered, they would like to encourage participants to still register. They have temporarily stopped collecting fees for registration; if the CJFH programs run, FHA will then contact participants for payment. For those who have already registered and paid, FHA will issue refunds depending on program start dates or cancellations. Here is the link to information about the spring CJP league – http://www.fieldhockey.ab.ca/content/Calgary-Junior-Field-Hockey-Spring-2020
For those who registered in the upcoming Astros Jr. Boot Camps, we are continually assessing and reassessing, taking our cues from what the medical experts recommend and being cognizant of the concerns and well-being of our participants and our volunteer coaches. We will issue refunds if the camps are canceled or if participants are not comfortable and would like to withdraw. We will keep you updated.
We all know that this is an unprecedented time. We have witnessed how interconnected we are as human beings and how this challenge we are all facing has affected every person on every level. We all look forward again to when we can have the normalcy and distraction of field hockey and other sports or activities that bring joy to our lives. We are optimistic, and intend on coming back healthy, powerful, and with gratitude for our field hockey community and our Astros Club family.
There is solace in knowing that we are not alone, and we believe that this is the time to rise and support one another (which includes sharing any stockpiles of toilet paper). Please be safe and take care of yourselves and those you love.
Be well and take care.
Verla Wong | Astros Field Hockey Club |
Hello club leads,
Sorry to email you even more! I just wanted to clarify and give some additional information.
We will do our best to have a season if possible, so we are encouraging participants that are interested to register. We have stopped collecting fees since we want to avoid the administration fees we will incur if we have to refund. We are continually monitoring the situation and will be modifying the season accordingly. We want to have participant numbers and contact details ready so that we can mobilize as quickly as possible if it becomes safe to run programming.
We will have limited staff in office during this time, however, we will be working from home. If you need to reach me please email and I will respond as soon as I can.
Email/social media statement:
On March 13, 2020 Field Hockey Alberta cancelled all field hockey practices, games, travel and try it free events until further notice.
We are still encouraging registration for our spring events, but have suspended payment until we are able to determine program viability and duration. We will continue to monitor health recommendations and assess program start dates. Having registration information ensures that we can keep in contact with participants and communicate necessary program changes.
For participants who processed payment, we will be issuing refunds depending on program start dates or cancellations.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Dates for the CLFHA Casino has been finalized:
- Thursday, February 6, 2020
- Friday, February 7, 2020
- Elbow River Casino
The document 2020-Feb_Casino_Shift_Schedule.docx was attached to this post.