News and Announcements
We are excited to launch our 2nd annual Astros U12/U14/U17 Preseason Boot Camp in April to kick off the upcoming spring junior field hockey season.
- North Dome at the VIPER DOME, 2221 Crowchild Tr. NW
- Google “Absolute Baseball Academy”
- East/NE side of the McMahon Stadium parking lot (on the Crowchild Tr. side, just across from Stadium Nissan).
- April 10th, 12th, 16th, and 18th from 7pm – 9pm
AGE/SKILL LEVEL GROUPS
- “NEW” (as the name implies … for those who are brand-new to field hockey),
- “LEARN” (for our youngest group who have at least one season under their belts),
- “PRACTICE” (for our intermediate age and skill group),
- “PER-FECT” (for our oldest age group and/or athletes who can perform basic skills consistently and with less instruction)
Also, the *2018 CJP Spring Program Registration link is now open on the Field Hockey Alberta website. Astros/Maroons will again practice on WEDNESDAYS and Astros will again practice on THURSDAYS.
- CJP U18 Teams – http://fieldhockey.ab.ca/get-involved/register/u18-co-ed-league-registration/
- CJP U12/U14 Teams – http://fieldhockey.ab.ca/get-involved/register/u14-cjp-registration/
Please find the 2017 CLFHA Annual General Meeting (AGM) Notice and Proxy attached.
Please ensure to bring any completed proxies to the AGM for quorum confirmation.
CALGARY LADIES’ FIELD HOCKEY ASSOCIATION
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2017
REPSOL SPORT CENTRE, RIVERVIEW ROOM
STARTING AT 6:30 PM
The document CLFHA-AGM2017-NoticeandProxyForm-Astros_Club.docx was attached to this post.
To register, email the following information to CLFHA Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Contact Phone #
• Indoor Team
INDOOR RE-CERTIFICATION CLINIC – Attend Part 1
Indoor umpires whose certification is expiring should register for a PART 1
INDOOR CERTIFICATION CLINIC (Part 1 and 2)
PART 1: Tuesday, October 16, 2017 … 6:30pm – 9:30pm (with breaks)
PART 2: Thursday,October 18, 2017 … 6:30pm – 9:30pm (with breaks)
PART 1: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 … 6:30pm – 9:30pm (with breaks)
PART 2: Thursday, January 18, 2018 … 6:30pm – 9:30pm (with breaks)
WHERE: 4303 – 11 St. SE
HOW MUCH: $50 (Payable to CLFHA)
Umpire Shirt: $40 (Payable to CLFHA)
Course Conductor: Keely Dunn
• Rules & interpretations
• Knowledge of the game
• What makes a good umpire?
• Video footage
• Become a more effective umpire
• Q & A
2. Written Exam:
• Exam is sent by email (open book) and examinees have 7 days to return it however they see fit
• Course Conductors will send as .DOC. which they will mark(up) them and send back
3. Field Assessment
• You will be scheduled or can request opportunities to shadow experienced umpires
• Then you will umpire with an experienced umpire or umpire-coach shadowing you
• Then you work with the League Coordinator and an Assessor to schedule a field assessment
• You get paid retroactive to the beginning of the season for games where you umpired (i.e. blow the whistle)
• It’s rewarding, challenging and fun / helps you understand more about hockey
• You give back to the sport / become certified and get paid
The Astros Club will reimburse our umpires for the cost of the clinic once you complete your certification
Just a couple of days to go!
There are a few last minute changes and reminders:
1) WE ARE NOW STAYING IN LANGLEY! Sharon was able to secure a cheaper rate, and according to our bus driver a more convenient location, at the the Days Inn & Suites in Langley (20250 Logan Ave).
2) There is an updated itinerary and packing list on Teampages: https://teampages.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/164932/ASTROS_FIELD_HOCKEY_CLUB.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=0MADWNHT7KBQHYNHHQR2&Expires=1491418878&Signature=6udAk56yHOAlCiI%2FqCnuvTB6CB0%3D. Please note that there are now 4 games instead of 5, and that some of the game times have changed (game 5 at 9:30am on Sunday morning is actually game 4).
If for any reason you are unable to access our team on Teampages.com (http://www.teampages.com/teams/796451-Astros-U18-Tour-field-hockey-team-website), please let us know!
3) Although we had asked that you bring some spending money to buy lunch on Friday, we are now asking that you bring a lunch as restaurant choices are very limited in the Abbotsford airport. Some snacks would be a good idea, too.
4) It is preferred that you only bring carry-on luggage. However, if you plan on checking a bag you are responsible for checking that bag and you must bring enough money to cover the cost of checking the bag BOTH DIRECTIONS.
5) If any of you use laundry pods (i.e. Tide pods), could you send a couple? We’re hoping to do wash the uniforms at some point.
I likely won’t be at practice tonight (Brooke is bringing Avery’s jersey), so please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Below is the information from the email that was sent out last Friday, so that you have them both together.
BOARDING PASS – The name on your boarding pass must match your ID (with legal name). If you go by a name other than what’s on your ID, please notify me ASAP so that I can change your name with Westjet (i.e. you don’t go by your full name or your legal name).
CARRY-ON LUGGAGE – You have all been asked to bring carry-on only. Here’s a link with an explanation as to what is acceptable https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/baggage/carry-on. If you need to check a bag you will be responsible for the cost of doing so. All the sticks will go in one bag, so don’t worry about having to fit that in your carry-on bag.
ITINERARY – There is an itinerary and a pack list on the U18 touring team Teampages website under “DOCUMENTS”. You do have to access this from a computer as the page won’t open on a mobile device. This list includes the laundry bag that Sharon mentioned at practice last Monday.
UNIFORMS – Uniform Top, BLACK Skort/Skirt, RED & BLACK Socks. All players will receive a pair of red socks as part of their uniform; you may purchase a pair of black socks from Joanne if you need.
DIETARY RESTRICTIONS – Please let me know ASAP if you have any dietary restrictions that weren’t mentioned on your medical form.
See you at the Westjet Domestic area at 10:45am Friday morning!!
Holly Van Oosten
Manager – 2017 U18 Astros Touring Team
Please update your attendance under the ATTENDANCE menu so Joanne and myself can plan practice. We still have to decide on the best system to start with and positions for the players. We know that athletes will be missing due to spring break travel.
Bring your team travel jersey, if you have one, to practice on Monday March 27. We have a list of who has one and who needs one, so this will also be sorted out on Monday. Do not worry if you are away and do not have a jersey.
Sharon and Jo